Photos

February 3, 2010

Back in Collegedale

Friends,

I hope all is well with you and you have the "peace that passes all understanding" today (Phil. 4:7).
I am back in Collegedale, TN to finish flight training. Before going home to Seattle for a month, I attempted the instrument checkride. I passed the oral portion but I was given a "discontinuance" on the flying portion because the weather was not good enough for us to do the flight. I would only have to come back to him after I returned to Collegedale and we would finish the flying portion of the test.

While I was gone we had an unfortunate accident: http://www.newschannel9.com/video/?videoId=61734834001&lineupId=1137849423
One of our students took off early in the morning for a long cross-country flight to Canada and crashed just after takeoff. It is a miracle he survived, and much moreso that he only lost 3 teeth and needed a few stitches. He's almost fully recovered, and our plane will soon be replaced by a Cessna 150 and a Cessna 172RG. This hampers my plans to finish my checkride, of course, but as soon as we get the Cessna 150 I'll definitely be able to move forward.

In the meantime I've been studying, and I have an interesting new experience to share. As of three or four months ago, my plan has been to get to Africa without considering any kind of courting relationship with anyone until I arrive there. This was largely affected by advice I recieved from my father, who said "If there is a young lady who is as dedicated to African mission work as you, she's probably already out there."

Two weeks before I went home to visit family in Washington, I met a friend who goes to my local church here in McDonald, TN. We kept in contact over email while I was at home. It turns out she grew up in Africa (her parents were missionaries there). About six months ago I finished a list of qualities that I believe someone would need to have in order for me to consider marrying. It includes vital things such as common religious faith, and some optional things that I would like. As I have gotten to know her, the things we have in common became more prevalent, and I subconsciously began to compare this person with the list I had written.

Two weeks ago I wrote her to be honest about my thoughts in this area, and she wanted to speak with me. We've been getting to know each other more and I've been seeking the counsel and guidance of my parents, mentors and close spiritual friends. I've been doing a lot of praying as well. I still intend to depart the area, Lord willing, in six weeks for Africa. I do not know how we will get to know each other after that, but we are taking caution not to cross the line of being friends, and are happy just for the experience of being friends and praying for each other.

This relationship has been different for me from any other since High School, in that everything has been out in the open, and I believe that we have the approval of God in all that we have done so far. This has resulted in a wonderous new revelation to me: In my prayers in the evening, instead of my thoughts and feelings toward this person becoming a hinderance to my relationship with God, on the contrary they have advanced it! Jesus thinks toward us as a husband toward his wife (Eph 5:25), and it is quite a revelation to me to realize how He thinks of me. It's been a blessing.

I wanted to share one more thought with those who are interested: You are the only you that ever has been, or ever will be. God could not create another you, even if He wanted to. He gave you free will, and the choices you have made and the experience you have had on this earth have shaped you. If you are not in heaven, you will be missed. You are a jewel in God's eyes (Malachi 3:17) and just as a gemstone is unique in the way it reflects the light of our sun, so you are unique in the way that you can reflect God's character and goodness. He has great things for you already planned in the world to come. If you are not there, those plans will have to be cancelled, and God will be sad. Please don't disappoint Him.

The grace and peace of our Lord be with you.

Scott Sterling

No comments:

Post a Comment