Photos

February 12, 2010

Winter in Collegedale

Things are going really well here. It's snowing outside but the roads are clear and sunshine is forecast for tomorrow; things are kind of peaceful. I am glad that we are living in a place of relative peace in the world for a moment. I am surrounded by those that I love and they all are working in the highest calling they know. I will miss the friends and "extended family" I have found here in Collegedale, but I am sure God will provide others wherever He sends me in Africa.
 
The great news is that I've been courting someone I met here just over two months ago. We spent over a week making the decision, considering I will be leaving very soon to Africa. I received good counsel from my parents, friends and mentors, and prayed a lot. The final decision was that it would be ok to get to know each other and see if we are matched, as long as we are careful. We do not want to cross any lines in our relationship that would make it difficult for us to just be friends if that is God's will. Just as I'm typing this it seems to me that anyone deciding to court someone else should follow such a plan, but I know that I definitely have not in the past. I have allowed myself to get more intimate with someone before marriage than I would choose to now. I don't hold myself up as an example to anyone else, but after counsel from some friends, we have decided not to kiss before marriage. To the friends I grew up with in Seattle, this would be quite radical! So far though, I'm very happy with just getting to know this person, the conversations that we have and praying for each other. I am looking forward to any ministry we can do together while I am here, aside from preparing for Africa. Her name is Luzmineth. Min for short.
 
As February 14th is approaching and many people are thinking about love, I wanted to share a beautiful text from the Bible. This is from 1 Corinthians 13, and it's in the New Living Translation:
 
 ---
Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud
or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged.
It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.
Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.
Love will last forever...
 ---
 
May we all live up to such a description of love! I hope all of you are doing well. Please write me if you get the time by posting a comment. Pray for Min and I for direction and faithfulness to God. One praise I want to mention is the funds for flying for the rest of my flight training appear to have come in! This often doesn't happen where I have the funding beforehand, so it seems to me that God is encouraging me to rush forward and expect all other obstacles between here and Africa to disappear. I have a plane ticket to buy, and a visa to apply for and final decisions to make on what to pack, but all of these are small things for God.
 
May God bless you with the peace that passes all understanding and true love this week.
 
Scott Sterling

No comments:

Post a Comment